BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
简介The face of Korea’s 100 won coin -- which shows a portrait of legendary Navy Adm. Yi Sun-sin (1545-1 ...
The face of Korea’s 100 won coin -- which shows a portrait of legendary Navy Adm. Yi Sun-sin (1545-1598) from the Joseon era -- will be maintained, after a court sided with the Bank of Korea in a copyright lawsuit.
The Seoul Central District Court confirmed a ruling Friday that the Bank of Korea has the right to use the portrait image of Yi, which was created by the late painter Jang Wu-seong, the BOK said.
Jang’s bereaved family filed a lawsuit on Oct. 9 against the Bank of Korea, requesting royalties from the central bank for imprinting Jang’s painting of Yi on the 100 won coin for the past 40 years, dating to the 1980s.
In 1975, the central bank paid Jang a sum of 1.5 million won -- roughly $3,100 at the time -- for the right to use his painting for the coin. The amount would be the equivalent of some 17 million won ($12,600) now.
Jang’s family, however, claimed the estate should receive further royalties from the central bank for use of the painting’s image on the 100 won coin.
The court took the BOK's side, seeing that it had secured the right to use the image by purchasing the copyright from Jang.
Jang’s painting of Yi was designated as an official portrait of the admiral by the government in 1973. The following year, the BOK requested Jang to create a new version of the portrait to use the image to issue currency. The official issuance of the 100 won with Yi’s painting on the front began in 1983.
Hyundai Motor Group on Tuesday unveiled a more compact, integrated wheel system that frees up more r ...
Hyundai Motor Group said Tuesday that its urban air mobility arm Supernal, along with its sister fir ...
South Korea, the United States and Japan established a trilateral communication hotline, a senior Se ...
- South Korea warns tit
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
Hotel chief fined for safety violation in Itaewon tragedy trial
Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
[Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
정부, GP 복원 계획…김태효 "北 무장에 가만히 있으면 안된다"
北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- Japan preparing to bring back some 20 S. Koreans from Israel, along with its own nationals: reports
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- 윤 대통령 “저보고 소통 부족하다 지적하는 분 많아 반성”
- Kingdom introduces last of its 7 kingdoms in 7th EP
- Hanmi Global to host forum on data center construction
- Registration opens for offshore firms' FX trading
- 이종석, 검수완박법엔 입법취소 의견…공수처법 위헌 입장
- 'Teenage Mercenary’ leads Korean webtoon sensation in Japan
- 尹 "참모들 앉아있지 말고 현장 가라…나도 민생 더 파고들 것"
- Samsung Bioepis launches Soliris biosimilar in Europe
- Ampers&one hopes to seep into listeners’ hearts with positive music
- Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
- 'Fuerza Bruta Wayra' returns to Seoul
- Global asset firms flock to Jeonju to woo pension giant
- 전문가 “북 중거리미사일 고체연료엔진, 러시아 기술 가능성”
- S. Korean shares snap 3
- Everland grounds panda Fubao for trying to escape
- Dancers say Street Woman Fighter 2 made dance more approachable
- S. Korea, US explore ways to expand ties in energy, supply chains
- iStaging Asia eyes patents for spatial web tech
- Nightmare before Christmas: 'rape announcement' issued at Seoul billboard
- LG to debut EV chargers in US next year
- IMF calls for restrictive monetary policy for S. Korea 'for considerable time' to tame inflation
- Snow crabs join bargain for crustaceans
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- EBS' new nature doc to explore symbiotic relationship between nature and humanity
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- KB approves of Yang Jong
- Hyundai Motor becomes first brand to sell cars on Amazon
- PM envisions Busan World Expo's role in sharing 'rise from ashes' experience