HD Korea Shipbuilding to build world's first ammonia
简介HD Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering, the shipbuilding unit under HD Hyundai, announced Mond ...
HD Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering, the shipbuilding unit under HD Hyundai, announced Monday that it is set to construct two of the world’s first ammonia-powered medium-sized vessels, with targeted delivery by 2026.
The company said it has decided to adopt a dual-fuel engine using both ammonia and liquefied petroleum gas for two ship orders made by Belgian shipping firm Exmas in March.
The ships, slated for construction at the Hyundai Mipo Shipyard in Ulsan, measure 45,000 cubic meters, classifying them as "medium-sized vessels" by industry standards. They will have the capability to run on ammonia and transport both ammonia and LPG.
These vessels are designed to meet environmental standards, aligning with the International Maritime Organization's carbon reduction objectives for 2030 and 2050.
Ammonia, as a fuel, offers environmental benefits. It's a carbon-neutral substance that emits no carbon dioxide when combusted. Its transport and storage advantages make it an attractive sustainable fuel alternative.
In 2020, HD Korea Shipbuilding received certification for ammonia dual-fuel engines from Britain's Lloyd's Register. The following year, the company pioneered the development of the world’s first ammonia fuel supply system.
The company has explored alternative fuels beyond ammonia. In August 2021, the firm secured an order for the world's first methanol-powered megasized container vessel. And in July this year, they launched the initial methanol-powered container ship from the Hyundai Mipo Dockyard.
Some 350 flats at Hyundai Engineering & Construction's new apartment complex, Hillstate Gayang ...
Samsung Electronics predicted Wednesday that its operating profits in the July-September period woul ...
Hanwha Aerospace said Wednesday it plans to become a total services provider for outer space, rangin ...
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
[HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
[Herald Interview] Monte
Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- [Herald Interview] Korea
- Seoul shares open lower after record daily gain
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- 블링컨 美국무장관 한국 도착…9일 한미 외교장관 회담
- Kard signs with Cardi B, Post Malone's agency
- 'Omega X will not give up': Boy band returns to share message of hope
- Child hurt after angry dad pushes the swing too hard
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- From Itaewon to Hollywood, Park Seo
- S. Korea retakes No. 1 spot in global shipbuilding orders in Oct.
- [Korea Quiz] Lucrative MLB careers
- Kakao Mobility announces plan to overhaul commission system amid monopoly criticism
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
- N. Korean envoy rejects report on Hamas using N. Korean arms as 'groundless'
- Sombre palaces, tombs swathed in fall colors
- 홍준표 "서울 메가시티, 시대 역행…尹정책과도 안맞아"
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
- [Herald Review] ‘Zzz’ lulls audience to sleep through onstage performance
- Director touts Netflix's ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ as warm tale for adults
- KT, Telkom join hands for Indonesia smart city project
- Korea to set workplace harassment criteria: minister
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- Halloween weekend sees 65 police calls
- FM Park, Blinken to meet in Seoul next week
- Subway car seats to be removed in two subway cars for more space: Seoul Metro